Tire combinations; two-wheel-drive (2WD), mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD) and rear axle – radial tires
Front and rear radial tire offerings are available on all models, except for the front tires on the open-operator station (OOS) configurations.
- Better ride quality
- Better wear characteristics
- Less compaction
- More efficient converting more power to the ground
- Heavy-duty front rims are also available that are capable of additional load and are perfect for roadside mowing or sidehill applications
Tire combinations by model
|Two-wheel drive (2WD) front|
|6151||10.00-16 in. 8PR F2 bias||In base||In base||N/A|
|5234||460/85R38 in. 8PR R1W radial||In base||In base||N/A|
|5212||460/85R34 in. 8PR R1W radial||Optional||Optional||N/A|
|5225||420/85/R38 in. 8PR R1W radial||Optional||Optional||N/A|
|Mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD) front|
|6220||380/85R24 in. 8PR R1W radial||In base||In base||In base|
|6210||340/85R24 in. 8PR R1W radial||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|6218||340/85R24 R1W heavy-duty rim||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|6222||380/85R24 R1W heavy-duty rim||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|5234||460/85R38 in. 8PR R1W radial||In base||In base||In base|
|5212||460/85R34 in. 8PR R1W radial||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|5225||420/85/R38 in. 8PR R1W radial||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|5521||320/90R50 R1W radial||Optional||Optional||Optional|
To further the versatility and efficiency of the 6E Tractors and their hydraulic capabilities, the 6Es can be ordered loader ready. Being able to add a loader to a 6E Tractor makes it an even more capable solution to the various tasks a utility tractor is challenged with.
Mechanical joystick with dual-function mid-mount valve
For the operator wanting to install a loader on a tractor, two-function and three-function hydraulic mid-mount valves with mechanical joystick are available.
- The operator will be able to operate the loader using a joystick, increasing productivity and maneuverability
- Available for both cab and OOS configurations on all 6Es
- Quick installation of a loader once the tractor is received
- Improved resale value
NOTE: To field install the single-function lever controls (both two and three function) please refer to the Loader Sales Manual and Price Pages.
|8910||Loader-ready package, two function mid-mount valve with mechanical joystick|
Includes: two-function mechanical joystick, four hydraulic hoses from mid-mount tractor valve to loader mounting frame, individual quick couplers, H-Series Loader mounting frames and hood guard.
NOTE: Loader component of quick couplers are ordered with loader.
|All 6E Series Tractors|
|8911||Loader-ready package, three function mid-mount valve with mechanical joystick|
Includes: three-function mechanical joystick, six hydraulic hoses from mid-mount tractor valve to loader mounting frame, individual quick couplers, H-series loader mounting frames and hood guard.
NOTE: Loader component of quick couplers are ordered with loader.
|All 6E Series Tractors|
Engine, 4.5L PowerTech™ power and specifications
Tractor models and horsepower
All John Deere 6E Series Tractors feature the reliable and proven 4.5L (275-cu in.) engines. These engines deliver constant power over a wide range of rpm with a power bulge above rated power and excellent torque characteristics.
The 6E Series, while being value-featured and competitively priced, are built with John Deere’s long-standing reputation for reliability, durability, and maintainability.
Model and horsepower outputs
liters (cu in.)
|Rated power take-off (PTO) hp|
|Rated engine hp|
Rated engine horsepower ratings are included for reference to competitor’s gross or engine-only power ratings. There are several ratings systems used by other manufacturers. John Deere uses the horsepower-rating standard 97/68/EC, which is widely used in Europe for various regulations.
How is engine-only rated and maximum power determined?
John Deere engineering uses a precise procedure to measure engine-only power levels. The 97/68/EC standard is required in the European Union (EU) as an emission test, so there is some relation to the power a tractor has as a whole functioning unit; however, the procedure requires only that a production engine and radiator are used on a dynamometer test. Use the 97/68/EC horsepower ratings in the above chart to compare to competitor claims of engine-only power.
PTO power and power bulge
The John Deere exclusive single-injector control, electronic fuel injection system, and other key engine parts, work together to sense engine load and instantly respond as needed to pull through tough spots. This reduces engine rpm fluctuation resulting in the reduced need to downshift the transmission. Fewer shifts result in fewer ground variations, providing more overall tractor productivity.
To match the engine power characteristics and improve economy of operation, the rated engine speed is 2200 rpm.
Feature and benefit overview
High-pressure common rail fuel system
- Higher injection pressures, up to 27,500 psi, precise variable injection pressure, variable timing control, multiple injections
Four-valve cylinder head
- Cross-flow head design that provides excellent breathing from a lower-cost four-valve cylinder head
- In turbocharged engines, the air is pre-compressed. Due to the higher pressure, more air is supplied into the combustion chamber allowing a corresponding increase in fuel injection which results in greater engine output.
- Precisely matched to the power level and application, the 6Es are equipped with a wastegate (to divert exhaust gases) turbo.
- Most efficient method of cooling intake air to help reduce engine emissions while maintaining low speed torque, transient response time and peak torque. Enables the engine to meet emission requirements with better fuel economy and the lowest installed costs.
- 4.5 L (276 cu in.) 4-cylinder.
- Power bulge feature
- Increased low-speed torque
- Multiple rated speeds to further reduce noise and improve fuel economy
- Higher peak torque ratings
- Faster torque rise
John Deere electronic engine controls
- Monitors critical engine functions providing warning and/or shutdown to prevent costly engine repairs; eliminates need for add-on governing components; all lowering total installed costs.
- Snapshot diagnostic data that can be retrieved using commonly available diagnostic service tools
- New common wiring interface connector for vehicles or available OEM instrumentation packages; new solid conduit and T-connectors to reduce wiring stress, greater durability and improved appearance
- Factory-installed engine-mounted ECU, wiring harness and associated components; industry standard SAE J1939 interface which communicates with other vehicle systems, eliminating redundant sensors and reducing vehicle total installed cost.
- Self-adjusting poly-v-fan drive
- Forged-steel connecting rods
- Replaceable wet-type cylinder liners
- 500-hour oil change
|EPA tier level||FT4||FT4||FT4|
|97/68/EC at rated speed kW (hp)||77 (105)||88 (120)||99 (135)|
|Rated engine speed (rpm)||2200||2200||2200|
|PTO operating speed (rpm)||2100||2100||2100|
|Maximum torque engine speed (rpm)||1600||1600||1600|
|Fast idle speed (rpm)||2275+10||2275+10||2275+10|
|Low idle speed (rpm)||900+10||900+10||900+10|
John Deere engines are designed and manufactured to deliver excellent reliability. The recommended service intervals of the engine should be coordinated with the tractor service intervals.
|Engine break-in service||500 hours maximum with factory ship away oil and filter change|
|Engine oil & filter change||250 hours – oil and filter change|
500 hours with John Deere Plus-50™ II and John Deere oil filter
|Engine oil filter change||With oil change|
|Engine fuel filter change||As required, 500 hours, or yearly|
|Drain water separator||Check and drain daily or every 10 hours|
|Engine coolant change||5 years or 5000 hours with John Deere COOL-GARD™ II and annual coolant tests|
|Engine coolant conditioner||As required every 500 hours|
|Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning interval||As required|
|DPF and diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC) replacement||As required|
|Open crankcase ventilation (OCV)|
|Diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) filter replacement||Every 3 years or 4500 hours|
|Engine||PowerTech PWL||PowerTech PWL||PowerTech PWS|
|Size||4.5 L (276 cu in.)||4.5 L (276 cu in.)||4.5 L (276 cu in.)|
|Valves per cylinder||4||4||4|
|Aspiration||Turbo and aftercooled||Turbo and aftercooled||Turbo and aftercooled|
|Fuel delivery||High-pressure common rail (HPCR)||HPCR||HPCR|
|Rated engine speed, rpm||2200||2200||2200|
|PTO operating speed, rpm||2100||2100||2100|
|Maximum torque operating speed, rpm||1600||1600||1600|
|Fast idle speed, rpm||2275||2275||2275|
|Low idle speed, rpm||900||900||900|
|Rated PTO power||89 PTO horsepower|
(66 kW) at 2100 rpm
|102 PTO horsepower|
(76 kW) at 2100 rpm
|115 PTO horsepower|
(86 kW) at 2100 rpm
|Rated engine power||105 hp at 2200 rpm [97/68/EC]||120 hp at 2200 rpm [97/68/EC]||135 hp at 2200 rpm [97/68/EC]|
|Power bulge||3% at 2000 rpm||3% at 2000 rpm||3% at 2000 rpm|
|Peak torque||318 lb-ft (432 N.m.) at 1600 rpm||364 lb-ft (494 N.m.) at 1600 rpm||397 lb-ft (539 N.m.) at 1600 rpm|
|Torque rise||29% at 2200||29% at 2200||25% at 2200|
|Bore x stroke||4.7 x 5.0 in.||4.7 x 5.0 in.||4.7 x 5.0 in.|
12 forward/12 reverse (12F/12R) and 24F/12R, PowrReverser™ transmission
The 6E Series PowrReverser transmissions deliver unmatched performance. This transmission is ideal for working in tight areas where forward to reverse shifting is a primary occurrence such as in barns, feedlots and loader applications.
Customers who are operating power take-off (PTO) implements like a rotary cutter or baler will appreciate the additional working speeds with the 24F/12R speeds PowrReverser transmission. High and low buttons are used to make fine adjustments in speed without the need to use the clutch delivering improved productivity.
The PowrReverser transmission is base equipment providing 12F/12R speeds. Six well-spaced ground speeds place the operator in the important haying or rotary cutter range of 8 km/h to 20.9 km/h (5 mph to 13 mph). With this transmission, the operator can reach a top speed of 31.5 km/h (19.6 mph). The optional PowrReverser transmission 24F/12R will deliver 11 well-spaced ground speeds to match the correct speed for a haying or rotary cutter application with a top speed of 40 km/h (25 mph).
A dash-mounted PowrReverser modulation kit (LVB25727) is available to set the aggressiveness of the forward and reverse shuttle modulation that best fits the application or the operator’s comfort level.
Two levers, one for speed and one for range, with the addition of an electrohydraulic left-hand reverser, provide operators optimum control and maneuverability.
- Range lever (right-hand side [cab], left-hand side [OOS]) selects four ranges (A, B, C, D).
- Gear selection (right-hand side) selects speeds (1, 2, or 3) in the forward or reverse direction.
- Electrohydraulic left-hand reverser allows for quick and convenient shuttle shifting between forward and reverse at any speed.
- High and low buttons are located on the gear shifter for the 24F/12R PowrReverser transmission.
Forward and reverse speeds
All speed gears (1, 2, 3) are fully synchronized for shifting-on-the-go capabilities, putting less wear on the operator and saving time in the field. In the 12F/12R PowrReverser transmission, gears are synchronized for low shifting effort while the operator is doing field or loader work and during transport.
The high and low speeds on the 24F/12R PowrReverser transmission can be shifted without clutching while the tractor is under load. This makes for quick speed changes when operating a rotary cutter or baler.
To further enhance awareness of reverse tractor motion, a backup alarm can be field-installed (BSJ10026).
The ranges (A, B) are not synchronized. This means the tractor must be stopped for the operator to select the range. However, with operator input, the speeds have been well spaced out to minimize the need to change ranges within applications. The ranges (B to C, C to D, and D to C) are synchronized. That allows the operator to shift ranges on the go in transport and high speed applications like operating a mower-conditioner.
John Deere has led the industry in the innovation of wet clutches. In this wet-clutch design, five 17-cm (6.7-in.) diameter clutch disks provide optimum clutch modulation for smooth operation; the disks are oil-cooled for a lifetime of service.
The biggest advantage of a wet clutch is its ease of use as the required force to depress the pedal is minimal. Also, with a wet clutch, the need for frequent adjustment and clutch mechanism changeover is eliminated.
|1382||12F/12R PowrReverser wet-clutch transmission, two-wheel drive (2WD) front axle||In base price for 2WD configurations||X||X|
|1383||12F/12R PowrReverser wet-clutch transmission, mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD) axle||In base price||X||X||X|
|1386||24F/12R PowrReverser wet-clutch transmission, MFWD axle||Option||X||X||X|
Stay connected to all machines from anywhere with JDLink™ system
Operators looking to remotely access critical machine data and manage their fleet in one place can with JDLink. JDLink is the telematics system from John Deere that connects all machines in the field with office and mobile devices. The technology is based on a Modular Telematics Gateway (MTG) controller that collects and transmits data via a cellular network using selective data points in near-real time. With JDLink, operators can:
- Remotely view information from a computer, phone, or tablet
- Access machine data like engine hours and fuel level
- Track machine location and history
- Set up and manage geofence and curfews
- Manage maintenance plans and alerts
John Deere Connected Support™ prevents downtime and efficiently resolves issues with revolutionary technology-based solutions
When you buy John Deere equipment, you expect reliability. You also know that problems can happen, and a product is only as good as the support behind it. That’s why John Deere equipment is prepared with technology that senses potential issues and can alert you and your dealer promptly—in the cab or anywhere you are.
John Deere Connected Support is a revolutionary change to support that leverages technology and the connectivity of JDLink™ telematics to prevent downtime and resolve problems faster. These tools decrease downtime by an average of 20 percent, enabling faster responses to unexpected problems and reducing technician trips to your machine. For some issues, unplanned downtime can even be prevented altogether through prediction of the issue.
With your permission, John Deere Connected Support:
- Keeps you running by monitoring machine health and promptly alerting you and your dealer of issues
- Saves time by remotely viewing in-cab displays, reducing trips to the machine
- Reduces or even eliminates technician trips to a machine through remote diagnostic and remote software reprogramming capabilities
- Connects experts with the information needed to respond to downtime faster and prevent it altogether
With more than a decade of experience leveraging connectivity to solve problems, no one else has the experience, tools, and knowledge to keep you running as John Deere and your John Deere dealer can. Connected Support is an in-base feature on all John Deere products with factory- or field-installed JDLink.