PowerTech™ 13.6L (827-cu in.) engine: real world usability, not just power on paper
The muscle to handle heavy draft disks and rippers, power-hungry air seeders and planters, and large transport loads like grain carts and slurry wagons. The durable design and heavy-duty components you can depend on when you need to get in and get out. All in a Final Tier 4 (FT4) and Stage V compliant package. You get real-world power with the purpose-built 13.6L (827-cu in.) engines from John Deere Power Systems, standard in the 291 to 440 engine kW (390 to 590 engine hp) 9 Series Tractors.
We developed our newest power plant from a clean sheet of paper, starting with stronger castings, beefier bearings, and more robust internal components, all designed to meet the high demands of field operations. We replaced the fuel injectors with a high-pressure common rail (HPCR) fuel system and eliminated the diesel particulate filter (DPF) to boost to fuel efficiency and lower operation and maintenance costs. Integrated coolant and oil passages, along with a new belt-driven water pump, eliminate potential leak points and allow for a less-crowded engine compartment, improving serviceability and reducing debris accumulation.
In redesigning the engine, we also gave it:
- Hydraulic valve lash adjusters to maintain valve-lash settings during engine operation, reduce valve train noise and wear, and allow for greater fuel efficiency.
- A hydraulic fan drive for improved cooling capacity with no required maintenance.
- A new integrated wiring harness design featuring a modular layout for reduced vibration, greater reliability, and easier service and diagnostics.
- A rear gear train that integrates fully into the cast-iron block, reducing tiresome engine noise and improving the durability of the crankshaft damper.
- Combination sensors where possible, meaning fewer sensors, connectors, and wires.
- A powerful engine brake that allows operators to use the engine to control tractor and implement speeds while transporting or traveling downhill, reducing wear on the drivetrain brake components.
It all adds up to:
- 14 percent more power and 11 percent more torque
- 3 percent lower fuel consumption
- 10 percent lighter
- 27 percent reduction in mean repair time and an estimated $8,308 savings in service costs over the life of the engine
13.5L (824-cu in.) engine compared to 13.6L (827-cu in.) engine
|Feature||13.5L (824-cu in.) engine||13.6L (827-cu in.) engine|
|Fuel delivery||Electronic unit injectors (EUI)||HPCR|
|Aftertreatment||Two canisters||One canister|
|Valve lash adjustment||Manual||Automatic|
|Engine brake||Not available||Available above 402.7 kW (540 hp)|
|Wire harness||Single harness||Three short harnesses|
|Water pump||Gear driven||Belt driven|
|Gear train||Front mounted||Rear mounted|
|Fan drive||Vari-Cool™ system||Hydraulically driven|
9 Series Visibility packages let you run with confidence, dawn until dusk
Visibility is more than just lighting. It’s mirrors where you need them, shades for the blinding late-fall and early-spring sun, wipers to help keep all the glass clear, and integrated camera capability right from the factory. The new 9 Series Tractors let you choose the visibility package that best suits your needs – Select, Premium, or Ultimate with 360-degree light-emitting diode (LED) lighting –so you and your operators can run with all-conditions confidence.
|Lighting||18 halogen worklights||18 LED worklights||24 LED worklights and eight LED convenience lights*|
|Mirrors||Mechanical||Electric and heated||Electric, heated, and telescoping|
|Sunshades||Front||Front, right-hand side, and rear||Front, right-hand side, and rear|
|Wipers||Front and rear||Front, right-hand side, and rear||Front, right-hand side, and rear|
|Cameras||Camera ready||Camera ready||Front and rear integrated cameras|
*Convenience lights illuminate the corners of the cab for easier entry and exit.
John Deere integrated solutions: a world of connected technology, right from the factory
John Deere makes it easy for you to access an entire suite of connected applications, all designed to help you make the most of every seed, every hour, every gallon, and every bit of machine-related information.
Each 9 Series Tractor comes standard with the John Deere StarFire™ 6000 Integrated Receiver and Generation 4 CommandCenter™ display; there’s no need for setup, installation, or initial global positioning system (GPS) calibration. Integrated AutoTrac™ assisted steering gives you accurate, scalable guidance for low-stress operation in nearly any conditions and can improve field efficiency by 10 percent or more. The 9 Series Tractors also feature standard JDLink™ telematics and five years of connected service for anytime, anywhere access to critical machine and field information. And every tractor comes from the factory with John Deere Connected Support™, so you and your dealer can anticipate and address critical system needs.
From here? The sky’s the limit. Choose any of our operation-specific applications to help maximize efficiency and productivity during planting, tillage, or other field activities.
|StarFire 6000 Integrated Receiver||AutoTrac||JDLink|
*Available with Premium Activation 3.0
**Available with Automation Activation 4.0
Work at your best with 9 Series Comfort and Convenience packages
When you’re spending dozens of hours per week in the cab, a comfortable operating environment isn’t just an option – the right features, in the right places, let you and your operators work at your best, dawn to dusk and beyond.
The 7, 8, and 9 Series Tractors offer three Comfort and Convenience packages to fit your needs: Select, Premium, and Ultimate. But regardless of which package you choose, you’ll still get the John Deere CommandARM™ console that puts critical controls within easy reach. You’ll get all the storage space you need for drinks, meals, and other stowable items. And you’ll have plenty of outlets to keep your electronics powered.
|Comfort and Convenience packages||Select||Premium||Ultimate|
|Business band ready||X||X||X|
|Four USB and one 12-V outlet||X||X||X|
|Dual tilt column||X||X||X|
|120-V/300-W three-prong outlet||—||X||X|
|Carpeted floor mat||—||—||X|
|Leather-wrapped steering wheel||—||—||X|
Bluetooth is a trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc. XM is a trademark of Sirius XM Radio Inc.
A range of hydraulic options give you the power and flexibility to take on your toughest applications
Of course, the 9 Series has the hydraulic muscle you need to push, pull, lift, and power your most demanding implements. But thanks to a range of enhancements to the hydraulic system, these tractors can provide that power at lower engine speeds, saving you fuel while still giving your implements the capacity they need. Regardless of model or configuration, the new 9 Series hydraulic system gives you:
- An increase of almost 40 percent in charge pump capacity, from 54-cc to 75-cc, to help maintain a higher flow at lower engine speeds
- A new swash plate angle sensor to monitor hydraulic flow and pressure and adjust engine speed to meet demand
- An integrated hydraulic pump, filter, and priority valve for fewer and shorter lines, reduced pressure loss, fewer flow restrictions, and an extra level of reliability
And if you depend on implements that need continuous hydraulic power, the 9 Series Tractors are available with Intelligent Power Management (IPM). Using dual pumps and advanced sensor and control technology, IPM provides additional engine and hydraulic power for high-demand applications like air seeding up and over hills or through thick, tough soil.
Add in single and dual pump options and a flexible number rear SCVs, and you can configure a powerful, fuel-efficient hydraulic system to meet the demands of your specific operation without paying for capacity you don’t need.
The new 9 Series: Easy to run, easy to maintain
When you’re trying to get a field planted before weather moves in, there’s no time to hit a scheduled maintenance interval or get smacked with an unexpected repair. That’s why we designed the 9 Series for maximum reliability and less in-season maintenance.
To start, we simplified as many systems as possible, using components common to other tractor lines and minimizing potential downtime due to parts availability. Then we eliminated as many potential pain points as possible through changes in the cooling, aftertreatment, and diagnostic systems, including:
- Replacing the fan drive system with a maintenance-free hydraulic fan drive
- Streamlining aftertreatment with a single-canister inline system that’s simpler and features fewer parts
- Improving uptime by adding better descriptions to diagnostic codes and offering predictive diagnostics through John Deere Expert Alerts
- A front-left service panel for easier access to engine oil check and fill points;
- Offering a 500-hour oil change interval on the John Deere Power Systems 13.6L (827-cu in.) Final Tier 4 (FT4) engine when using approved John Deere oil and filter (the Cummins® QSX 15-L [915-cu in.] engine has a 400-hour engine oil and filter change interval).
Cummins is a trademark of Cummins, Inc.