Superior terrain capability
The Gator™ XUV Crossover Series Utility Vehicle has a precision-engineered drivetrain system that fully utilizes engine power, optimizing acceleration, hauling, towing, and hill-climbing capabilities. Power is transmitted from the engine through a continuously variable clutch system to the transaxle.
Key elements of the drive system include:
The variable-speed drive consists of two clutches and a drive belt:
- Drive clutch is attached to the engine.
- Driven clutch is attached to the transaxle.
- The engine braking system utilizes a tight belt for operation, requiring an idler sleeve on the primary clutch for neutral. The secondary clutch is a new build-on-shaft design that utilizes a cam to tune the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle. The clutch will stay engaged, providing deceleration until approximately 5 km/h (3 mph).
- The continuously variable transmission (CVT) air intake draws in cool air to reduce heat and the amount of water ingestion into the CVT system. The system will reduce belt slippage and improve durability.
- A low- and high-speed forward gear offering:
- Low range is 0 km/h to 40 km/h (0 mph to 25 mph), XUV825E and XUV825M S4
- Low range is 0 km/h to 24 km/h (0 mph to 15 mph), XUV855E and XUV855M S4
- High range is 0 km/h to 72 km/h (0 mph to 45 mph), XUV825E and XUV825M S4
- High range is 0 km/h to 45 km/h (0 mph to 28 mph), XUV855E and XUV855M S4
- Ability to creep along slowly to maneuver in tight spaces
- Standard full-clutch enclosure with high speed fan provides longer belt and clutch life
- High-ratio clutches with three cam weights for maximum belt clamp load in high-torque conditions
- Powertrain reduction ratios:
- The complete reduction ratios range for high gear is 8.6:1 at top speed and 42:1 at initial clutch engagement. This varies between the vehicles listed above.
- The complete reduction ratios range for low gear is 17.9:1 at top speed and 86.8:1 at initial clutch engagement. This varies between the vehicles listed above.
NOTE: Delivery of torque to the ground depends on tire size, which is a function of nominal size and pressure.
How the variable-speed drive works:
- As engine speed increases, the spring-loaded drive clutch is closed by weights being forced out by centrifugal force.
- As the drive clutch closes, the belt rides up to the largest diameter of the drive clutch and forces open the driven clutch.
- With the belt running in the smallest diameter of the driven clutch, the speed being transferred to the transaxle is increased.
- The driven clutch is designed to sense varying loads (inclines, mud, etc.) and constantly adjusts drive speed upward or downward so that engine rpm remains optimal.
Transaxle, mechanical front-wheel drive (MFWD), and constant-velocity (CV) shafts
- Selectable four-wheel drive (4WD) system with a limited slip front differential and dash-mounted electronic rocker switch
- Provides exceptional traction in challenging conditions
- Maintains turf-friendly operation in two-wheel drive (2WD) mode
- Illuminated for visibility in low-light conditions
- Low, high, neutral, reverse, and park transaxle
- Automotive-style, integrated park position in transmission
- Low range for maximum torque delivered to the wheels for hauling, pushing, and pulling
- High range for maximum vehicle speed
- To shift out of park, service brake must be pressed to release the parking solenoid. An audible click will be heard and allows the vehicle to shift out of park into the desired gear.
NOTE: Differential design reduces scuffing of the turf during turns because it allows the inside wheels to turn slower than the outside wheels
- Start in gear, neutral, or park position for quick starting. The service brake must be engaged to start when in gear or neutral.
- Large, sealed bearings are located inside the housing for better protection and durability
- Contains gear case for transferring power to the MFWD
- Splined shaft interfaces for maximum torque transfer and durability
- All drive gears machined from highest grade gear steel
- Protected by a skid plate
- Electronically selectable by the operator
- Offers limited slip functionality for precision steering and great traction while pointing and shooting out of a corner
- Vertically oriented oil drain for easy maintenance
- Near instantaneous torque to the front wheels when electronic switch is engaged
- Protected by a steel skid plate and frame
- Rear CV shaft diameter measures 27 mm (1.1 in.) and is designed for peak engine and braking torque
- Front CV shaft diameter measures 23.9 mm (0.94 in.) and is designed for peak engine torque
- Propshaft (transaxle to MFWD shaft) diameter measures 23 mm (0.91 in.) and is designed for peak engine torque
- All CV shaft and propshaft joints are maintenance free and protected by exclusive Neoprene boots for durability
Powerful diesel engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response
The machine is powered by an 854-cc (52.1-cu in.), 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, four-cycle diesel engine. It produces 5.1 kgm (36.9 lb-ft) of torque at 2400 rpm.
The advanced engine delivers superb starting, idling, and throttle response during operation. With minimal noise vibration and harshness (NVH), the XUV855 is the smoothest and quietest running diesel in its class.
The engine offers the following performance and reliability features:
- Indirect injection diesel with glow plugs ensures fast starts in cold temperatures
- 30.6 kW (22.8 hp*) at 2400 rpm
- Overhead valve design for greater efficiency and fuel economy
- Spin-on oil filter for easy servicing
- Quiet operation through the entire rpm range
- Molybdenum-coated pistons
- High-stiffness cylinder block and gearcase
- High-flow water pump and optimized water jackets maintain a steady operating temperature and eliminate hot spots
- Full-pressure lubrication system
- In-line mechanical fuel pump
- Five-point, rubber isolated for quiet operation and minimal vibration
- Dry replaceable dual-element air cleaner with remote intake and a restriction indicator
- See-through coolant recovery tank permits the operator to check the coolant level without removing the radiator cap
- Sealed radiator compartment keeps trash and debris on the outside of the grille
* The engine horsepower information is provided by the engine manufacturer to be used for comparison purposes only. The actual operating horsepower will be less.
Dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics
To complement the most capable frame available in a high-performance utility vehicle, the XUV is equipped with four-wheel independent suspension.
A dual A-arm front and rear suspension provides a smooth ride over challenging terrain and excellent hauling characteristics.
The entire suspension system has been optimized to handle no cargo to maximum cargo without compromising ride quality or vehicle stability.
Dual A-arm front suspension features include:
- 203.2 mm (8 in.) of travel provides ample compression and wheel extension, which keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction and vehicle control
- 17.5-mm (0.6875-in.) solid anti-roll bar with fully rubber isolated connecting links and pivots for minimal vehicle body roll and quiet operation
- Heavy-duty, nodular cast-iron knuckles to support the strut, constant-velocity (CV) shaft, and wheel
- Maintenance-free rubber torsional A-arm pivots for long life and quiet operation
- CV shaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
Dual A-arm independent rear suspension features include:
- Unequal length, dual A-arm construction for superior wheel control and travel
- 228.6 mm (9 in.) of total travel provides ample compression and wheel extension, which keep all four wheels on the ground for superior traction, excellent ride quality, and vehicle control
- Coil-over shocks absorb the most demanding terrain
- A-arms made from square/rectangular tubing reduce weight while remaining rigid
- Heavy-duty, nodular cast-iron uprights support wheel loads with a double row of ball bearings
- CV driveshaft protection from sticks that may puncture the rubber boot
- Rear sway bar for lateral stability
Extra-durable deluxe cargo box ensures hard-working performance and longevity
The deluxe cargo box consists of a 15 percent glass-filled polypropylene composite material that eliminates rust, dents, and reduces noise.
Deluxe cargo box tailgate
The tailgate can be opened or removed for easier cleanout and to carry longer items. The tailgate has been improved, features truck-like performance, and can be operated with one hand.
The standard installed lanyards can also be removed to lower the tailgate to 150 degrees for convenient loading and unloading tasks.
Deluxe cargo box tilt
The deluxe cargo box is easier to latch, unlatch, raise, and lower with the integrated handle design and gas assist.
A prop rod is provided to hold the box in the upright position for operator convenience, as well as limit box pivot travel.
Integrated tie-down points
The deluxe cargo box offers integrated tie-down points for increased versatility. Tie down points are located in the following areas:
- Four corners inside the cargo-box bed
- Four points on the load guard directly behind the operator station (A)
- Tie-down bars on either side of the cargo box (B)
- Six points on the underside of the cargo-box frame (circled)
Converting deluxe cargo box to a flat bed
The deluxe cargo box easily converts to a flat bed. The flatbed configuration allows loading larger cargo.
Optional accessories for the deluxe cargo box include:
- Factory-installed brake and taillight
- Factory-installed spray-in liner (not shown)
- Improves skid resistance and surface abrasion protection
- Cargo box bed mat
- Cargo box power lift
|Length||1143 mm (45 in.)|
|Width||1320 mm (52 in.)|
|Depth||304 mm (11 in.)|
|Volume||0.46 m3 (16.4 ft3)|
|Weight capacity||454 kg (1000 lb)|
|Dump angle||47 degrees|
CAUTION: Carrying extra-long cargo that extends beyond the box can adversely affect stability.
Equipped with power steering
This Gator™ XUV Crossover Utility Vehicle is equipped with power steering and a dual A-arm front suspension. These automotive-type systems exhibit excellent handling characteristics, as well as responsive steering and low steering effort:
- Steel ball bearings secure the steering shaft and deliver smooth, responsive operation
- Completely sealed rack-and-pinion for long life
- Low steering ratio (lock-to-lock) provides more responsive steering and less operator input
- Shaft U-joints are phased for a smooth, uninterrupted motion of the steering wheel
Electric power-assist steering (EPAS) system has advanced features:
- Anti-kickback feature reduces the amount of steering unwinding when traversing difficult terrain.
- The system is speed sensing and adjusts steering effort as the speed of the vehicle changes.
- As speed increases, there is less steering assist for improved road feel.
- As speed decreases, steering assist increases to give lower steering efforts for improved maneuverability.
- A warning/functional light on the instrument panel provides self-diagnostics and a warning light in the situation of no assist.
- Torque sensor measures steering wheel input so the on-board computer can provide the appropriate output for various driving situations.
With the EPAS system, the operator maintains a direct, mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front wheels. The power-steering system interfaces mechanically with the steering system by being inserted between the steering wheel and the rack-and-pinion assembly.
A differential torque sensor is integrated into the power steering assembly. The circuit board assembly is also integral with the power-steering assembly.
Power steering does not reduce turning radius but significantly reduces steering effort by approximately 85 percent compared to those models without power steering.
EPAS interface diagram
The numbered descriptions refer to the EPAS interface diagram shown above:
- Torque sensor
- Engine control unit (ECU)
- Fail-safe relay
- Current/thermal control circuit
- Reduction gears
- DC motor
- Rack and pinion
- Function/warning light
- Key power and ground
- Vehicle speed sensor
- Instrument cluster
- Relay module
Seating for four and rear under-seat storage
The XUV825M S4 and XUV855M S4 models feature seating for four. The rear seat will convert to provide a flat surface for extra payload and there is sealed under-seat rear storage for additional cargo.